What is an aquaponic device for IoT-aquaponics June 11, 2013Posted by rik94566 in agponics.com, aquaponic automation, DIY aquaponics, DS18B20, Float Switch, IoT aquaponics, One-wire.
Tags: aquaponic automation, aquaponics, DIY aquaponics, DS18B20, IoT, microcontroller, rik kretzinger, Temperature Probe
Aquaponic devices can come in many sizes and shapes. There are simple and complex devices as with all technologies.
The most simple aquaponic device would be a temp probe connected up to an Arduino with the data generated being sent out to a Cloud service like Xively/Cosm/Pachube or ThingSpeak via ethernet or wireless connection.
I am working on a more complex aquaponic device right now that will contain the following sensor set:
3 – DS18B20 probes
1 – Flow meter
3 – media sensors
1 – Float Switch
1 – Humidity and Temp probe (DHT-22)
3 – gravity feed valves controlled by relays
1 – air pump controlled by relay (in N/O) configuration
1 – back-up air pump that turns on if electric goes out
1 – heater controlled by relays driven by temp reading being generated by the DS18B20 probes.
This device will be my proto-type to test sensor configurations and try new sensors out. It will allow me to gain an understanding of how all this IoT technology comes together and can actually perform work with out me having to constantly watch my system. I would like to be in Hawaii and just have my iPhone alert me when an event is out of range. Then I could make the necessary adjustments over my Aquaponic API software and be done with it while at the beach.
DS18B20 – always a new twist June 10, 2013Posted by rik94566 in 1-wire, aquaponics electronics, DIY aquaponics, DS18B20, IoT aquaponics, One-wire, Stainless Steel Temp Probe, Temperature Probe.
Tags: 1-wire, DIY aquaponics, DS18B20, IoT, rik kretzinger, sensor, Temp Probe, Temperature Probe
I have resisted moving to Arduino IDE 1.0.x as I have read that people have had problems moving to it.
In my case I have been using ver 21 IDE because it was stable and all the libraries worked with it. Now that I am moving to the IoT platform I am required to use Arduino IDE 1.0.x.
First step was to download and install. Then needed to re-establish all the libraries required to work with DS18B20. Once all done it was time to determine if it all would work correctly.
To start off I ran the one-wire finder sketch. Much to my delight it worked. Now I was very confident that this transition was going to go smoothly. I now connected up 3 sensors and loaded my 3 sensor sketch.
Here was my result:
I got reading that were incorrect or really no readings at all
Next I had to make sure the hardware was connected right. So I went back to my ver. 21 IDE and re-tested everything. Sure enough everything worked great.
The results now is that using the Hacktronics sketch that was stated to be workable with Arduino IDE 1.0.x does not work with my set-up. Now I will have to determine just what the problem is and how to correct it.
This will have to be my next task in learning about the DS18B20 and Arduino.